About the Ministry
The Ministry of Local Government (MLG) is charged with the responsibility of promoting a decentralised and good local governance system, facilitating delivery of quality municipal services in order to contribute to sustainable socio-economic development. The Ministry oversees the implementation of delegated functions and responsibilities by the local authorities.
The Ministry is responsible for the following Portfolio functions according to the Government Gazette Notice No. 6526 of 2016:
- Amusement and Play parks
- Business Hours;
- Cemeteries and Burial Sites
- Council Nurseries
- Feeder/Townships Roads;
- Film Censorship;
- Fire Services;
- Liquor Licensing;
- Local Authorities Training;
- Local Government Policy;
- Markets and Bus Stations;
- Plant Nurseries
- Registration of Marriages
- Street Lighting
- Theatres and Cinemas Policy, and;
- Urban and Regional Planning.
In addition to these portfolio functions, the Ministry is responsible for the following Statutory Bodies and Institutions:
- Chalimbana Local Government Training Institute;
- Film Censorship Board;
- Gwembe District Special Fund (Dissolution);
- Local Authoroties Superannuation Fund Control Board; and,
- National Fire Services Training School.
The Ministry has five (05) specialized departments, namely Human Resources and Administration, Planning and Information, Local Government Administration, Housing and Infrastructure Development and Physical Planning that enables it perform its functions effectively.